I love peanut butter (check out my recipes for protein cookies, pancakes, oatmeal protein balls, chocolate chip protein balls, and even dog treats for proof). I also love bananas (check out my easy 2 ingredient cookies and healthy bakery style donuts for further evidence). I’m combining my love affairs in a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie bowl that is part of my healthy January detox. Chocolate as part of a detox? Yes, please. Deprivation doesn’t work, friends, and dark chocolate is good for you!
If you’re trying to lose weight, my best advice is to eat mindfully. Restrictive diet plans never work for the long term and often result in binge eating. Focus on overall wellness that includes eating well, working out and meditating. Eat healthy dessert a couple of times a week and never feel guilty about slipping up (the stress is worse than the calories).
My go-to workouts are HIIT and strength training. As much as I love these training styles, they are hard on the body and causes stress, which I’m trying to reduce. This month, I’m participated in Dedicate, the free yoga program on the Yoga with Adriene YouTube channel. My mind and body needed the break and I’m also enjoying delicious detox food, like my chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie bowl!
For me, 2019 is going to be a year of self-care, writing, and reaching my goals, like finally getting Sweet Redemption into your hands in May/June. On Instagram, I just shared a post explaining how I combat all the sitting I have to do for both my 9-5 executive ghostwriting gig and my author/blog evening gig. I hope some of the tips resonate with you!
Chocolate Peanut butter banana smoothie bowl
This chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie bowl tastes better than a peanut butter cup. You can whip up this filling, super food packed breakfast in 5 minutes!
This recipe makes 2 chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie bowls.
- 1 frozen banana, sliced
- 1 cup of cauliflower, frozen (your smoothie won’t taste like vegetables, I promise)
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, almond butter, mixed nut butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of Dutch process cocoa
- Added protein: to make your smoothie bowl more filling, add a scoop of protein powder
- Optional: if you like a sweeter smoothie bowl, you can add a tablespoon of honey (or agave for my vegan friends)
- Add the frozen banana, frozen cauliflower, unsweetened almond milk, nut butter of choice, and Dutch process cocoa to your blender (lucky you if you have a Vitamix). Blend all ingredients together until it’s smooth, adding more unsweetened almond milk as required to reach desired consistency
- Top with whatever your heart desires. In the photo, I used banana slices, chia seeds, mini dark chocolate chips, unsweetened coconut, granola and melted peanut butter
Have you jumped on the smoothie bowl bandwagon?
Note: I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full legal page here.