The Canadian Thanksgiving weekend just passed and our meal wouldn’t have been complete without healthy pumpkin pie. I’m a ghostwriter and author, not a food blogger, so the recipes you see on my site are what I’m literally about to put on our table. You can’t get more authentic than that, friends.
The holiday season can be a magical time of year, but it’s also a challenge for many people. I always feel the loss of my dad more during the holidays and it can be hard to put on a happy face when I’d rather hibernate. Creating new traditions that make me smile is one way that I make it through the blues.
The kitchen is the heart of a home and I used to bake with my dad all the time. We created many fond memories with our hands covered in flour and I feel close to him when I go through the same motions. This is the first time I’ve made healthy pumpkin pie, but it won’t be the last! Sometimes, it’s the small things in life that make all the difference.
What are your favorite traditions?
Healthy pumpkin pie
This healthy pumpkin pie tastes like the traditional version without any additives. It’s rich, creamy and delicious – your family won’t know the difference!
This recipe makes one pie.
- 1 can of pumpkin puree (15 ounces). Don’t use pumpkin pie puree!
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk (13.5 ounces)
- 1/4 cup of rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons of golden ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup of coconut sugar, birch xylitol or granulated sweetener of choice
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 pie crust (you can make your own if you want – I didn’t)
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Blend all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until it’s smooth, and then pour it into the pie crust
- Bake for 30 minutes and allow the pie to cool. It will look undercooked, but that’s okay – it’s supposed to
- Refrigerate the uncovered pie overnight to let it set
Do you like pumpkin treats?
Note: I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full legal page here.