I shared my favourite Jillian Michaels workouts in a previous post. I also gave you some free options available on YouTube. Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred is arguably her most popular program, so I’m sharing an in-depth review for anyone who is considering picking up the DVD. If you’re a beginner, start with the Beginner Shred so you don’t get discouraged. There’s no shame in starting at your fitness level! Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred
The 30 Day Shred has three levels and it’s recommended to stick to each one for 10 days. However, if you’re starting to find level 1 easy after a few days, then by all means, move up to level 2! I encourage you to give your all to each move and really challenge yourself. Home workouts are only as hard as you make them. Push yourself!
You get a complete workout in under half an hour. Each of the three routines has three circuits: three minutes of strength training, two minutes of cardio, and one minute of ab work. It wouldn’t be Jillian if there wasn’t repetition, so expect circuits.
I wouldn’t call the 30 Day Shred a HIIT workout, but many of the moves are intense and high impact. There are also a lot of plyometrics in level 3. If you’re new to working out, you’ll want to add a longer cool down and stretch than the one that’s provided in the video.
- You can work smarter and get a complete workout done in under half an hour. If you’re at a higher fitness level, you could always repeat the video twice
- Many fitness newbies put a strong focus on cardio and skip strength training, so I appreciate that it’s a focus in 30 Day Shred. You won’t turn into the hulk – that takes a lot more work than 20 minutes a day. Instead, you’ll set your metabolism on fire and build lean muscle, which will help you lose weight
- The 30 Day Shred can be done with minimal equipment. You just need weights and a yoga mat. If you don’t have either, you can improvise with whatever you have on hand (think a towel and soup cans)
- Jillian Michaels has a no-nonsense approach that isn’t for everyone. I find her motivating, engaging and inspiring and if you don’t, there’s always the option to mute the volume and listen to music instead
- Like most celebrity trainers, Jillian puts a big focus on appearance and weight loss versus health. Regardless of what motivates you, longevity or a six pack, the workout is still a solid one for a great price
- A meal plan isn’t included, so just focusing on eating right, not less. Check out some of my recipes for inspiration! I consistently lose weight, even while eating treats like healthy donuts
Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred is easy to fit into your busy day and is a great way to build the habit of working out. This was the first program I did to restart my own weight loss and I was at my heaviest when I did it. I lost the promised 20 pounds, but that isn’t necessarily what will happen for you. It all depends on your starting weight and how hard you push yourself. What have you got to lose? Give it a try!
Have you done Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred?
Note: I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full legal page here.